Tuesday, September 30, 2008

But it's just a sweet, sweet fantasy baby...

It's the end of week four of the 2008 football season and we've secured our first win in our fantasy league, The Battle of Gotham City.

Yay!

I'm not gonna lie... I don't like losing - who does, really?

But I'm certainly still on a learning curve with this whole fantasy thing. I enjoy playing - especially because we're in a league with old friends form high school. So even though it can get a little heated and competitive sometimes, in the end it's all love.

And money.

Annnnnd of course, bragging rights.

So I'm learning.

This week I learned that I could drop players from the roster and pick up free agents! I know - it's ridiculous how obvious it seems, and even more ridiculous that I didn't know that. To be quite honest, last time we played fantasy (two seasons ago) we ended up with a kickass team and placed second in the league.

Didn't need too much adjustment to that team. So I didn't bother learning what to do in case of injury. Or suspension.

But as I mentioned in a previous post, the luck of the draw (or rather, the draft) wasn't working for us this time, and we found ourselves in a sorry situation with our players.

Brady. Plax. TO. Shockey. Doesn't seem too bad on paper, but the reality of the season proves that real games aren't won or lost on a single player, and generally, neither are fantasy match-ups. So when you factor in Brady's ACL injury, or Plax's attitude... TO's slippery fingers or Shockey's hernia... you realise that we've got some work to do!

And thanks to Isaac's advice, I continue to learn and hopefully build our team for the remainder of the season.

And for the record, Favre - originally our backup QB - had a career high game this week, throwing six (6? who does that?) touchdowns against the Cardinals. Wow! If he can keep that up for the rest of the season it'll be smooth sailing from here on in...

Realistically speaking though, we probably have a couple more adjustments to make to the team and I'm looking forward to an exciting and chair-gripping football season.. especially if my Falcs (God help them) can develop a winning streak ;)

No comments: