Tuesday, September 9, 2008

If there's a camera up in here, throw that right on up to YouTube...

Clearly, these days it's all about being tech-savvy.

For me, it started with AOL messenger back in the day (remember that?) From there it's been a spiral (up, down or however you like it) into ICQ, MSN, Hi5, Facebook, YouTube and the list goes on...

Whatever your social network of choice, it's inevitable. Resistance is futile my friends.

Granted, not everyone will engage in everything. I've never taken to the concept of Second Life, and I was never a huge fan of Hi5. Hell, I created two myspace pages, but neither were for my own use.

I've been hearing about twitter for a few months now. Some classmates and I wrote an article on social and new media, and I first came across Twitter when I interviewed new media guru David Weinberger. He mentioned it in passing, and for the first time in my cyber life, I was at a loss: I actually had no idea what he was talking about. I made a mental note to myself to "google" (this qualifies as a valid verb in my books) it.

Fast forward a few months, and while I did make good on my mental note, I still hadn't pursued becoming a "tweet" (someone who Twitters) any further. Until today.

My dad sent me a text message (he does it fairly often... who would have thought?) asking me to call him. I find this ironic. Annnnnd... we're back. What he wanted was to find out how to do something on twitter. That sparked something in me - my dad was on twitter and I wasn't. In addition, I had to sign up for an account in order to find out what he wanted, so I went for it.

Username: lbholder

I updated my status, and played around with it a bit: reading the "about us", and checking out the official Twitter blog. By far, my favourite feature of this hidden gem is the option to text. That's right kiddos - you can text (with no extra charges) your status updates right to your page... how cool is that?

Facebook needs to jump on that one.

In closing, twitter will, at least momentarily, be my new muse. I hope it has the balls to keep me entertained!

No comments: