Thursday, June 25, 2009

I just can't stop loving you...

I know that it's usually used to refer to the passing of Ritchie Valens, The Big Bopper and Buddy Holly, but I have to say that for my generation and likely the one before it, today is the day the music died.

As I'm sure you've heard by now, pop icon/legend Michael Jackson has passed away at the age of 50. I've been a lifelong fan--yes, 25 years of loving--and as lame or cliche as it sounds, I'm experiencing great sadness about the death of MJ. I've never felt so directly affected by the passing of a celebrity, and doubt I ever will be again. As I read the confirmation of his passing on CNN, my local radio station started playing The Way You Make Me Feel, my favourite Michael Jackson song, and it hit me really hard.

I immediately called my dad when I heard, after all he was on the one that put the MJ bug into my ear many years ago. You know what he said to me? "You literally owe your life to Michael Jackson... you know my first date with your mother was to a Michael Jackson concert... I've told you that many times." And with that, I was destined to be a slave to the rhythm...

I'm currently listening to Toronto DJ Starting from Scratch playing a great set of MJ tunes, from Jackson 5 times and on. And as I'm listening to the segue from Smooth Criminal into Shake Your Body Down To The Ground, I'm thankful that I have had so many years of amazing music, performances, choreography and everything else that MJ was known for to reflect upon.

MJ was an overall performer who, in his prime, could rock a crowd to the core. Or so I've heard... and seen on TV. I never had the joy of seeing him live, but for anyone who did, I can only imagine what an experience it was.

We all know that in recent years Jackson has gone through some rough times from money issues to clear body image distortion problems. I don't want to focus on all that.

I think that in spite of his issues (and honestly, who doesn't have them?) Michael Jackson has graced us with so much beauty, creativity and musical genious over the decades, and that's what is most important at his time of passing.

So if you're reading this, all I can suggest is to give thanks for your reality, and send Michael off with appreciation and hopes for a less tortured existence in the life beyond.

No comments: